Wednesday, December 7, 2016

December Grades 3-4 Book Club Discussion: The Wild Robot



We had a great book discussion in December about The Wild Robot by Peter Brown. Avery, Cam, Charles, Claire, Ellie, Gwyneth, Lillian, Madison, Maida, Quinn, Reagan, Robert and Thomas were present, making this a large book club! Thanks to for attending! Please read some of the comments about the book below.

Please use one word to describe your first impression of Roz:

-Kind
-Can't-speak-animal
-Intelligent
-Average
-Kind
-Caring
-Unusual
-Smart
-Outsider
-Helpful
-Caring


Who was your favorite character in The Wild Robot? Least favorite? Why?:

-Roz because she is really helpful with Brightbill and she's really nice. My least favorite is probably the RECO units because they tried to attack Roz.
-RECO because they had the blasters that hunted Roz and they wanted to take her back to where she should have been. Brightbill is my least favorite because his name is weird and he flew awake from his fake mom.
-Roz was my favorite because she was being called a monster and that was unfair. She ended up saving them all. RECOs are my least favorite because they were basically trying to hunt Roz down and make her work at factories instead of staying in the forest.
-The RECOs are hunting Roz down and won't stop until she returns to the Makers at the factory. My favorite was Chitchat.
-Favorite is Chitchat. Least favorite are the RECOs because they shot Chitchat in the tail.
-Least favorite was the RECOs because they're mean. My favorite was Fink.
-Roz is my favorite because she was nice. My least favorite were the RECOs because they were mean.
-My favorite was Roz because she was helping the animals. My least favorite were the RECOs because they were trying to take Roz away and she is the reason most of hte animals survived the winter.
-Favorite was Chitchat because she describes me when I get excited. My least favorite is the Farmer.
-Least favorite is the RECOs because they're awful. My favorite is Roz because she's helpful.
-Least favorite are the RECOs. I love animals and hate it when people try to hurt them. My favorite was Brightbill because he's brave.
-My favorite was Roz because she was nice and helped pull out all of the porcupine quills from the fox. My least favorite were the RECOs because they tried to take Roz back to where she didn't want to go.
-My favorite is Roz is because she's caring. Least favorite are the RECOs because they want to take Roz back.


What's your favorite scene of the story?:

-My favorite scene was when RECO 2 was stuck in the waterfall and was bashed in the head with a log.
-My favorite scene was when Roz helped build the lodge for the animals.
-Mine was when the bear was dangling off the branch from the cliff.



Do you think that there was a message in this book, beyond the story it told? What might the message be?:

-I think that the message might be that sometimes you need to be with your own kind and then other times you can be with others.
-The message is that you should always be nice to people. Roz helped the animals throughout the book and because she had done that, the animals helped her out.
-Don't judge a book by its cover. Like Roz being a monster.



What did you think about the ending of the book? Do you think there will be a sequel?: 


-I think there will be a sequel. I really want one because it's a great book. I'd try to convince him to make a sequel. The Wild Robot Returns. There was a cliffhanger.
-I think that the ending was good. It leaves you on a cliffhanger, which is good and bad. I want a sequel.
-I want a sequel because at the end it said that Roz will find a way to return.



Please use one word to describe your last impression of Roz:

-Coming-back
-Best-friend
-Coming-back


Please rate this book from 0-5, with 5 being the best:

-There was one 3.
-There were five 4s.
-There were eight 5s. 
This was a popular book!

The Grade 3-4 Book Club selection for January 4th is The Isle of the Lost by Melissa De la Cruz.  

"Imprisoned on the Isle of the Lost, the teenaged children of Disney's most evil villains search for a dragon's eye--the key to true darkness and the villains' only hope of escape."-summary.  

Copies of the book will be available behind the Circulation Desk within the next week. Please remember to register for Book Club so that we know how many people will be attending.

May Grades 3 & 4 Book Suggestions

One-Third Nerd by Gennifer Choldenko "Fifth grade is not for amateurs, according to Liam. Luckily, he knows that being more than one-t...