1. Sage lives in an orphanage and steals food to live, but refuses to go with Conner, who seems to offer him a great life. Why is Sage so reluctant?
-Because Sage didn't know what would happen once he was with Conner
-Because his dad told him to stay in hiding
-He didn't know there would be death involved
2. Why doesn’t Conner let Latamer go?
-So he can teach the other three a lesson about how serious he is about his plan
-Conner wants the kids to know that he isn't fooling around
-Latamer was there solely to teach the kids a lesson
3. During the lessons and competitions with Tobias and Roden, Sage frequently acts as if he does not want to be prince. Why does he behave this way?
-Probably because he doesn't want to give his identity away
-No one wanted him to be king when he was the prince and so he thinks that the people of the kingdom would not want him as their ruler
4. The only person Sage seems to trust is Imogen. Why do you think they have such a strong bond?
-Possibly because she gets cut and bruised all the time so they feel sympathetic toward each other
-They have a bond because every time Sage gets hurt, Imogen has to heal his wounds
5. Why does Sage put the kitchen knife under Tobias’s mattress? Why doesn’t Sage tell Mott or Conner that Tobias attacked him?
-He didn't tell Mott or Conner because he really didn't want Tobias to kill him
-He promised Tobias that he would forgive him and let him go when he became king
-Sage made a promise to Tobias and Roden that he would set them free after he became king
-He put the knife in the mattress so that there's no evidence. Sage didn't tell on Tobias because he didn't want Tobias to be killed
6. Do you think Sage is like a caterpillar that goes wherever he wants without being noticed? Or as Mrs. Turbeldy believes, is he like a cockroach that runs freely in the night but scatters in the light?
-I think he's like a caterpillar
-Consensus is that he's like a caterpillar
7. Sage says that it’s not easy to be one type of person when you’ve worked so hard to be a different type of person. Have you ever pretended you were a different type of person than who you really are? What was that like?
-I am extremely introverted but with some people I act extroverted
-When I'm at home, I like to shout and run around. At school I am more quiet.
-I pretended I was funny
8. What clues foreshadowed Sage’s true identity? How did Mott figure it out? What might have happened if Conner found out Sage’s true identity before he was ready to reveal it?
-He looks so like Jaron and he didn't reveal his identity because Conner would have killed him
-Mott has eyes on the back of his head (in that he is very intuitive)
9. Sage insists that Imogen, Roden, and Tobias follow him to Drylliad. Why did he insist on their company? How did they feel about accompanying him?
-He invited them because they were his "friends" even though Imogen was very reluctant
-He decided to bring them along because he felt bad that they might die because he left them behind
-Imogen did not want to go. But then she wasn't mad at him anymore because she realized she had been tough on him
10. Conner beats Sage to try to ensure that Sage follows his orders once he is king. Why doesn’t Sage tell Conner the truth and save himself the beating?
-Because he wants to save his identity unveiling when he becomes king
-He doesn't tell Conner because his father told Sage/Jaron not to tell anyone his real identity
-Also, Conner tried to kill Jaron when he sent the pirates to kill him
11. Would you read a sequel to this book?:
-Everyone would read the sequel
-This is my second favorite series besides Wings of Fire
12. Please rate this book between 1-5
-Shoutout to Quinn for suggesting this book
In June, the members of all of the Book Clubs (Grades 1-2, Grades 3-4, Grades 5-6 and Grades 7 and Up) are invited to come discuss their favorite books on Wednesday, June 21 at 3:00 p.m. We will not be reading any specific books during June, July or August, but in June we will be sharing books that we've read and would like to recommend to others. Or books that we've disliked. Or books that we can't wait to read. It's an open discussion. Snacks will be provided. Get some great ideas for Summer Reading! Your suggestions might be a part of a Summer Reading Book List compiled by Miss Lisa and school librarian Miss Casey!