Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October 2012: Pie by Sarah Weeks



For October’s Book Club, we read Pie by Sarah Weeks. Here are our thoughts…

If I could change one scene in the book, it would be:

Cam: When Alice and Charlie see the principal working out. It was so weird.

Harry: The same scene. I would change it so that the principal was trying to punch dead animals.

Ben: I would change the part where they describe Polly's dead body.


If I could be a character from this book it would be:

Cam: Charlie. Because he made a mixed up pie that ended up winning the Blueberry Award.

Harry: I would want to be the owner of the LARDO company because he's rich and got the recipe.

Ben: Lardo. Because he gets all of the tuna and sardines that he wants. It's cool that he gets all the food that he wants.


My favorite character is:

Cam: Lardo is awesome and a mystery. You don't know what force he has.

Harry:Lardo because he reminds me of Garfield.

Ben: Aunt Polly because her pie making skills are very valued in this age.


The character I wouldn’t want to bake a pie with is:

Cam: I wouldn't want to make a pie with Alice's mother because her pies look like dog vomit.

Harry: Alice's mom because they look and taste terrible.

Ben: I'm saying the same thing.


Were you confused by anything in this book?

Cam: Nope. It all cleared up by the end.

Harry: I was confused by how good friends Charlie and Polly were and Charlie ended up marrying Nora.

Ben: I was confused by how nice Polly was. I think it was a little obnoxious. I found it unrealistic.


The one character I would want to be happy forever is:


Cam: Alice, because her aunt died, her cat died, her parents died and she didn't marry, like Aunt Polly.

Harry: I can't say Alice, because she already is happy. Lardo because he wasn't always happy.

Ben: Lardo. Happy in Cat Heaven.


Please rate this book from 1-5, with 5 being the best:

Cam: 4

Harry: 3.5

Ben:  4


If you were absolutely amazing at something, what would it be? Would you keep it a secret?:

Cam: Awesome soccer. I would keep it a secret and then surprise the Portuguese soccer team.

Harry: ESP. I would keep it a secret and become a superhero.

Ben: Awesome dance move. I would keep them a secret. I'd put myself on YouTube with my face blocked out.


Any more thoughts?:



Ben: I like Lardo. Lardo is cool.

The book for the next Book Club meeting is Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos. We will be meeting on Wednesday, November 7.

May Grades 3 & 4 Book Suggestions

One-Third Nerd by Gennifer Choldenko "Fifth grade is not for amateurs, according to Liam. Luckily, he knows that being more than one-t...