Wednesday, July 14, 2021
Tuesday, July 13, 2021
Wednesday, June 9, 2021
For June's Grades 3 & 4 Book Club, we read the book From the Desk of Zoe Washington by Jenae Marks. This title is Rhode Island Children's Book Award nominee for 2022. The below questions are from Middle Grade at Heart.
2. In one scene, Zoe feels judged by a white woman who sees Zoe, who is black, with her white stepfather. Have you ever felt the need to defend something that wasn’t actually wrong because someone judged you? What did you do? How did that make you feel?
3. At first, Zoe refuses to tell Trevor why she’s upset with him. Do you think that was fair? When she did explain, whose side of the story did you connect with most? Have you ever said something you didn’t mean because you felt pressured to fit in, like Trevor? Or had someone hurt you in their attempt to fit in, like Zoe? What did you do?
4. Zoe’s experience at the bakery internship doesn’t start the way she expects it to. Have you ever been excited about something, only to be disappointed? How did it turn out in the end?
5. Were you surprised when Zoe’s grandma agreed to keep Zoe’s letter writing a secret? Do you think it was the right thing for her grandmother to do? Why or why not?
6. Zoe is shocked when she reads stories of people who were wrongfully convicted and sent to prison for crimes they didn’t commit. How did you feel reading that?
7. Zoe and Trevor talk about how they’ve each had discussions with their parents: “...because I’m black, I have to be extra careful around the police. Stuff like that.” If you’re a person of color, have you ever had that discussion? How did it make you feel? If you’re white, how did you feel reading that? What do you think it’s like to feel that, because of the color of your skin, you can’t trust the very people who are supposed to be helping and protecting you?
8. As you read, how did you feel about Marcus? Did you believe he was guilty or innocent? Did your thoughts about Marcus change at all as you learned more about his story and the facts of what happened?
Thursday, May 13, 2021
Monday, May 10, 2021
Raj had everything. A cool apartment in Brooklyn. Three friends who lived in his building. And pizza and comics within walking distance. But when his mom gets a job in Elba, Oregon, and he is forced to move, all of that changes. It's now the beginning of summer, he has no friends, and because of his mother's urgings, he has joined a nature camp. It's only when his doorbell rings and he meets a furball of a cat that Raj begins to think maybe his luck is turning around..." — summary
Thursday, April 15, 2021
1. There are lots of rooms in the 13-Story Treehouse. Which one is your favorite? What type of rooms would you include in your own treehouse?
and yes, they would recommend it!
Tuesday, April 13, 2021
For July's Grades 3 & 4 Book Club, we read the book Klawde: Evil Alien Warlord Cat by Johnny Marciano and Emily Chenoweth. 1. The ...
For March's Book Club, we read the Newbery Medal winner, The One and Only Ivan , by Katherine Applegate. Cadence, Cameron, C laire,...
For June's Book Club, we read Wonder by R.J. Palacio. Harry, Evan, Callum, Cameron, Calvin and John were present and Andreas...
For March's Book Club, we read The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. Anthony, Avery, Cameron, Clare, M a dison , Maida, Quinn...